Guest Announcements

Welcome to Indys.

Your premiere Intimacy Provider Advertising Website dedicated to your safety

We provide a unique social networking experience. Our goal is to make you feel welcome, safe, and successful as a member and supporter of our community.

Login or Register to gain access to advertisement directories, reviews, photo galleries, and other public and private discussion forums

Now covering Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, the Maryland / Washington DC corridor, Michigan, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, West Virginia

...and also these Indys Cities...
CO - Denver, GA - Atlanta, KS - Kansas City, LA - Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Shreveport, MA - Boston, MO - St. Louis, NC - Charlotte and Raleigh, NJ - Newark, NM - Albuquerque and Santa Fe, OK - Oklahoma City and Tulsa, OR - Portland, TN - Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis, UT - Salt Lake City, WA - Seattle, WI - Milwaukee and Madison

[How To] Include a picture with your post

This is a 'read only' forum of the best tips and tricks and FAQ information regarding site usage as well as other general tips and tricks regarding technology

[How To] Include a picture with your post

Postby Journeyman on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:51 pm

I was looking for a write-up on how to attach a picture to a post, but I couldn't seem to find one that covered all of the options. So, I've put one together to serve as a reference and a tutorial.

There are a few options for including a picture with your post.
  1. Attached - When you attach a picture to your post, you are uploading it to Indys.com. It is stored on the Indys.com server for anyone who can view the post to see. Some forums are set to allow attaching pictures, others aren't.
  2. Linked from an Indys.com album - When you include some special text in your post, it will appear as a thumbnail of picture from the gallery. If you want to refer to a picture from someone's gallery, this is the best way to do it.
  3. Linked from another website - There is other special text you can include in your post that will link a picture stored on another website into your post. This the least secure of the three options because if someone knows the pictures address, they can view it without having permission to read the post.
Attaching a picture
  1. After clicking [Add Reply], [New Topic], or [Preview] (from the "Quick Reply" section) you will be in the full edit/post screen.
  2. Click the [Add an Attachment] button
  3. A new area will appear to [Browse...] for the picture and add a comment if you want. (The location on your computer will be listed, but only the contents of the file and the name of the file will be sent to the Indys.com server.)
  4. Press the [Add Attachment] button next to the comment box to add the file to the post.
  5. After doing that, you should see a new button to look at your attachment(s) labeled [Posted Attachments] should show up that lets you work with your attachments.
  6. Once you submit your post, the image will be visible below your text.
Not all forums allow pictures to be attached. You can determine if the forum you are in allows it by checking the "permissions summary" at the bottom right of a post within the forum. For me, for one of the forums, it looks like this:

Linking a picture from an Indys.com picture album/gallery
  1. View the picture in the gallery.
  2. Copy the code you see in the "BBCode" box to include in your post.
If you have a post that looks like this:
Code: Select all
Check out this picture: [albumimg]8[/albumimg]

The [albumimg] tag will show up as a thumbnail of the image from the gallery. Note: With a real [albumimg], you can click on the thumbnail to view the full-size picture in the album.
Check out this picture: Image

There are several advantages to this method of including a picture in your post.
  • If the picture is posted for only certain people to view, only those same people will be able to view the thumbnail. For everyone else it will show up as a link like this: [albumimg]8[/albumimg]
  • If a lady removes the picture from her album, the thumbnail goes away too. (It will again show up as just a link.)
In short, it leaves the picture fully under the lady's control. This is the method I use for referring to the pictures in the monthly contests. (BTW, you have to be vouched to see those contests; some of the participants don't post public pictures.)

Linking an image from another website
The third method for including an image in your post is to link an image from another website. This is the method I usually use. The code for this is pretty straight forward. Wrap the url for the image in
Code: Select all
[img]http://xxxjourneyman.com/avatars/2520.png[/img]

Which will look like this.

If you try linking to an image on some websites it might not work. This is because of what is called "hotlink protection". As an example, I have my server set up to allow links from this site, but if you were to try to include that same picture in a post on the BigDoggie, you would see it because it's in your web cache, but no one else would.

The same thing can happen here if you try to post an image from another server that doesn't allow hotlinking. For example, let's say you wanted to include a picture of a TV personality in your post to help everybody understand who you're talking about. If you find a picture you like on IMDB.com, copy the location of the picture, and post it in between IMG tags. You'll see it and think you've got a great post, but everyone else is just going to see the word "Image". The reason it works for you, is that your web browser loads it from a copy it saved locally when you visited IMDB to find the picture. Your browser sees a request for a file it already has and just shows it. For everyone else, their browser has to ask the IMDB server for a copy. When it does, it tells the IMDB server that the image is included on a page at Indys.com. (It actually reports the full URL of the page.) The IMDB server reads this "referrer" information and decides it's not going to give you anything. Hotlink protection is set up to prevent people from eating up the bandwidth of the IMDB servers without actually visiting a page at IMDB.

So, if you want to include an image from another spot on the web, you first need to do one of three things:
  • find a site that doesn't use hotlink protection,
  • put the file on a site like photobucket, (you'll have to follow their rules on content, which means no nudity, or your picture will get blocked like this),
    [img]http://xxjourneyman.com/indys/attach/photobucket-violated.jpg" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

or
  • put the file on a server you have control over and can set your own rules. (This is what I do most of the time since I set up a hobby-only web server at xxxjourneyman.com.)

• If you use a free hosting site like photobucket, assume that anyone can view any image you upload there. (Because with most of them, anyone can.) Don't upload any lady's image to one of those sites, even if it is posted in a public gallery. It takes it out of her control when you do that. Also, it can sometimes be hard to tell if a gallery image is public or not.

Someone once asked me how to post a picture that was emailed to you.

From an email, you need to save the picture somewhere on your computer. (If you're using Windows, the Desktop will make it easy to find.) Then, attach it to your post using the "attach" method detailed above. Once it's posted, you can delete the image you saved on your computer, because a copy of it has been uploaded to this site.
    Last edited by Journeyman on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
    Journeyman
    Posting Ambassador
    Posting Ambassador

The following 3 users would like to thank Journeyman for his or her post: Krewman, MsMoorhead, mz tiny

Postby M MD on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Made into a "Sticky" - great post JM!

thanks, MMD
    M MD
    Adminnovation Man
    Adminnovation Man

Online: 268d 22h 20m 48s
    Home State: Texas (tx)

Reviews you have written

The following user would like to thank M MD for his post: Krewman

Postby Hotty#1 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:12 pm

Personally I find this to be the easiest.
    http://www.freeimagehost.eu/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hit my info button.
    "The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money costs less."
    NEW SONG : http://youtube.com/watch?v=ipxm_p7m5qc
    Newbies Welcome
    Hotty#1
    Postaholic
    Postaholic

Online: 73d 22h 19m 1s
    Home State: Pennsylvania (pa)

Reviews you have written

The following user would like to thank Hotty#1 for her post: Krewman

Postby ImBones on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 pm

Toyman wrote:
    MMD wrote:Made into a "Sticky" - great post JM!

thanks, MMD

Great post but being illiterate...I need someone to walk me through it..

TM use the button I highlighted found at the top of the thread and print the directions JourneyMan gave you.
    print.PNG
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Living Life One Day At A Time
    Enjoying each day of it, too!
    IMB
    ImBones

Online: 377d 3h 13m 32s
    Home State: Ohio (oh)

The following user would like to thank ImBones for his post: Krewman

Postby Corrine Summer on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Ok im gonna try this hope it works!!!

Hugs And Kisses
    ~Corrine
    Check out MyPage for more information about me!!
    Corrine Summer
    Posting Master
    Posting Master

Online: 100d 5h 34m 23s

Reviews you have written

The following user would like to thank Corrine Summer for her post: Krewman

Postby Rcee on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, JM and thanks for the link, Hotty.
    Rcee

Online: 277d 17h 46m 46s

Reviews you have written

The following user would like to thank Rcee for his post: Krewman

Postby RalphRowlins on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Excellent write-up Journeyman. Careful though. Folks will start labeling you Uber-Mod. LOL

RR
    RalphRowlins

Online: 405d 10h 25m 24s

Reviews you have written

The following user would like to thank RalphRowlins for his or her post: Krewman

Postby Mony Mony on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Journeyman - thanks for putting this together. I have definitely struggled with posting pictures, links to youtube, and links to providers pictures.
    Mony Mony
    Power Poster
    Power Poster

Online: 56d 20h 14m 19s

The following user would like to thank Mony Mony for his post: Krewman

Postby FTT on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:55 pm

This is a great post. Could somebody explain how to "embed" a youtube video to your post? - So you actually see the video, and all the person has to do is hit the "play" button with their mouse.

FTT
    "They say I'm cocky, and I say What? It aint braggin' motherfucker if ya back it up".

Kid Rock
    FTT

Online: 81d 22h 20m 20s

The following user would like to thank FTT for his post: Krewman

Postby FTT on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 am

Carl - Thank you, sir!

FTT
    "They say I'm cocky, and I say What? It aint braggin' motherfucker if ya back it up".

Kid Rock
    FTT

Online: 81d 22h 20m 20s

The following user would like to thank FTT for his post: Krewman

Return to Site FAQs and Tips and Tricks