Guest Announcements

Welcome to Indys.

Your premiere Intimacy Provider Advertising Website dedicated to your safety

We provide a unique social networking experience. Our goal is to make you feel welcome, safe, and successful as a member and supporter of our community.

Login or Register to gain access to advertisement directories, reviews, photo galleries, and other public and private discussion forums

Now covering Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, the Maryland / Washington DC corridor, Michigan, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, West Virginia

...and also these Indys Cities...
CO - Denver, GA - Atlanta, KS - Kansas City, LA - Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Shreveport, MA - Boston, MO - St. Louis, NC - Charlotte and Raleigh, NJ - Newark, NM - Albuquerque and Santa Fe, OK - Oklahoma City and Tulsa, OR - Portland, TN - Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis, UT - Salt Lake City, WA - Seattle, WI - Milwaukee and Madison

Thoughts on your 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates

this is an area to discuss music, movies and sports topics.

Re: Thoughts on your 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates

Postby BamBam on Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 pm

He was doing good thru 5 innings with a low pitch count. Its that 6th inning we need to figger out. It would also help if we could score some runs or at least A run.
BamBam
Postaholic
Postaholic

Online: 46d 3h 13m 22s
Home State: USA (us)

Postby Josie Wales on Sun May 13, 2018 9:23 pm

BamBam wrote:He was doing good thru 5 innings with a low pitch count. Its that 6th inning we need to figger out. It would also help if we could score some runs or at least A run.

Yeah, they stranded quite a few today. Osuna and Cervelli hit shots to the deepest part of PNC. Anywhere else they would have been homers. Just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
Josie Wales
Power Poster
Power Poster

Online: 25d 14h 55m 22s
Home State: Pennsylvania (pa)

Reviews you have written

Postby Felix Leiter on Mon May 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Great mark at the quarter pole. Let's be honest if anyone had said on opening day that 40 games in we'd be 6 games over and a half game out of first no one would have believed it. Keep it going boys just win more series than we lose and we'll be ok. Let's Go Bucs!
"Just relax, I have a friend named Felix who can fix anything"--James Bond
Felix Leiter

Online: 70d 6h 5m 13s

The following user would like to thank Felix Leiter for his post: Ausse Salt

Postby billy guns on Tue May 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Felix Leiter wrote:Great mark at the quarter pole. Let's be honest if anyone had said on opening day that 40 games in we'd be 6 games over and a half game out of first no one would have believed it. Keep it going boys just win more series than we lose and we'll be ok. Let's Go Bucs!

I agree - next 10 games the three white sox, padres and reds - all have losing records before we head to St. Lous -- 7 of 10 has to be the goal
billy guns

Online: 89d 19h 49m 24s
Home State: Ohio (oh)

Reviews you have written

Postby Steelers69 on Tue May 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Robinson Cano suspended for 80 games today don't be surprised if the Pirates trade Josh Harrison to them. Harrison is about ready to come back from the DL, went 0-3 last night in Altoona. This would lower the payroll and then Jung Ho has a full time spot when he comes back
Steelers69
$500+ per year
$500+ per year

Online: 131d 14h 39m 18s

Reviews you have written

Postby Ausse Salt on Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Steelers69 wrote:Robinson Cano suspended for 80 games today don't be surprised if the Pirates trade Josh Harrison to them. Harrison is about ready to come back from the DL, went 0-3 last night in Altoona. This would lower the payroll and then Jung Ho has a full time spot when he comes back

... "Lower the payroll!" ... Now there's a good idea... :?

### Salty
Ausse Salt
Posting Ambassador
Posting Ambassador

Online: 193d 15h 37m 23s
Home State: West Virginia (wv)

Postby BamBam on Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Steelers69 wrote:Robinson Cano suspended for 80 games today don't be surprised if the Pirates trade Josh Harrison to them. Harrison is about ready to come back from the DL, went 0-3 last night in Altoona. This would lower the payroll and then Jung Ho has a full time spot when he comes back

You are being obstreperous!! :drink:
BamBam
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby Josie Wales on Tue May 15, 2018 8:46 pm

You just heard it from the Yinzers on the FAN. S69s favorite source!!!!!
Josie Wales
Power Poster
Power Poster

Reviews you have written

Postby billy guns on Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm

BamBam wrote:

You are being obstreperous!! :drink:

Great use of vocabulary bam
Used to one of my favorite words
But of course to early to decide Harrison’s future or kang for that much
We are contenders at the moment much to Steelers69 chagrin
billy guns

Reviews you have written

Postby BamBam on Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks!!

Harrison isnt goin anywhere and Im not as hopeful for Kang as some.
BamBam
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby Josie Wales on Tue May 15, 2018 8:56 pm

BamBam wrote:Thanks!!

Harrison isnt goin anywhere and Im not as hopeful for Kang as some.

Moran has made Kang a luxury if he gets his groove back. I doubt Harrison is going anywhere yet. July, maybe.
Josie Wales
Power Poster
Power Poster

Reviews you have written

Postby Felix Leiter on Tue May 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Raise it! It doesn't get any better than a 7-0 victory. Nice effort by Williams on the mound. Marte and Cervelli leaving with injuries are the only blemishes on a perfect night. Go for the season sweep of the White Sox tomorrow afternoon. Let's Go Bucs!
Felix Leiter

Postby Steelers69 on Wed May 16, 2018 4:53 am

Josie Wales wrote:

You just heard it from the Yinzers on the FAN. S69s favorite source!!!!!

Sorry don't get that on my channel and all I listen too is Sirius XM Mad Dog and Howard Stern

-- Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 am --

Great read in the Trib today

Pirates attendance is down. But it's not a “boycott.” The decline has been gradual and organic, and nobody's fault but the Pirates.
In 2015, the Pirates won 98 games. Their average attendance was 30,000. But by the time the trade deadline had come and gone in 2016, seven key members of that 98-win team were no longer on the roster.
A.J. Burnett and Aramis Ramirez retired. Francisco Liriano, Mark Melancon and Neil Walker got traded. Pedro Alvarez and J.A. Happ left via free agency.
The trades brought little return. None of those leaving were replaced by similar talent. Jon Niese and Ryan Vogelsong were hardly equivalent to Burnett and Happ. Fifty-one of the Pirates' 140 home runs departed.
The Pirates won 78 games in 2016. Attendance dipped to 27,000 per game.
Last season, the Pirates won 75 games. Attendance dropped to 23,000 per.
This year, the Pirates were 23-17 going into last night's home game against the Chicago White Sox. But attendance stands at just 15,000 per. (That's after averaging almost 28,000 over three games this past weekend for Andrew McCutchen's return to PNC Park as a member of the San Francisco Giants.)
Bad weather has something to do with that.
But mostly, it's evidence that trust between the franchise and fan base is broken. Some accept blindly. More and more become discerning consumers.
Owner Bob Nutting is solely responsible for fracturing that trust.
In 2015, the team's payroll was 23rd in MLB at $105 million. It's currently 27th in MLB at $88 million. That is not a formula for winning.
According to Forbes magazine, the Pirates made a profit of $35 million last season, 10th highest in baseball. (They made $51 million in 2016.) The franchise is worth $1.26 billion.
It is undeniable the Pirates could spend more money and still profit, but choose not to. Nutting is about cash, not wins.
How could any Pirates fan look at these facts, which are readily available, and not fall somewhere between disappointed and disenfranchised?
Yet some militantly deny. I'm told I don't know baseball. I'm told to stick to hockey (or wrestling or eating) and then, invariably, an unkind comment is made about the size of my backside.
But this isn't a baseball issue.
It's a financial issue.
It's an approach issue.
This is about slamming your own window shut instead of taking full advantage. This is about going from 98 wins to 78 to 75 in two seasons when reasonable and logical investment would have led to continued contention.
It's about doing all that for the sake of greed, while ignoring potential glory.
A sizable number of people think I'm right: About 15,000 per game.
Perhaps attendance will go up in good weather. Perhaps it will increase if the Pirates keep winning.
Or maybe trust won't be so easily restored.
Or maybe the Pirates will dump Josh Harrison's $10 million salary at the trade deadline and remove all doubt.
You might hate that I keep writing this column. I certainly hate having to.
But the idea attendance is down because of a “boycott” — as put forth by stooge fanboy bloggers — is an obvious case of attacking a straw man.
There has been no campaign. No hashtags. Nothing organized. The drop in attendance is organic. Some have stopped going. Others just go less.
It's still a nice night out at the ballpark. Some argue attending is part of being a Pittsburgher.
But others are tired of feeling fooled, and it's going to take more than a decent quarter-season and a nice tribute video for McCutchen to change that.
Steelers69
$500+ per year
$500+ per year

Reviews you have written

The following user would like to thank Steelers69 for his post: BamBam

Postby BamBam on Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 am

Great read Steeler!! I agree with every word of it too!

But one little hiccup in the Bam household. What it didn't mention is, that goin to a Pirate game is about as cheap an evening you can spend and still enjoy yourself if you love the game. Also, not sound too selfish, but I just care about me being able to watch the bucs. I don't really care about attendance too much. Of course I wish it was better but in the end it wont affect my viewing. Its not like Nutting would spend more money anyways. So I enjoy the hand dealt to me. Also as far as valuation of 1.2b. That number will increase dramatically now that gambling on sports will be legalized axross the country.

Btw, I applaud you for staying in control as you were typing that. I could feel the 6.5 tremor in the ground. :D
BamBam
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby Ausse Salt on Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 am

... Greed??

... It's even MORE telling that the Pirates
have the 18th MOST VALUABLE franchise
in baseball.

... And yet - the payroll surely amoung
the bottom 4 or 5 spenders... Constantly.

WHY is that?! :x :(

### Salty
Ausse Salt
Posting Ambassador
Posting Ambassador

Online: 193d 15h 37m 23s
Home State: West Virginia (wv)

Postby billy guns on Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 am

That was a good read
and facts are facts -early on attendance was def a mixture of weather and pissed off fans. Once schools are out - will be interesting if it picks up. To me it will be intriguing if this team really contends and maybe proves pirates made the correct moves if the fans really come out.
Concerning payroll, I've said repeatedly the Pirate payroll needs to be around 120million.
That being said - I still would've moved McCutcheon. He woudn't be worth signing a 6 year contract.
billy guns

Reviews you have written

Postby Steelers69 on Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 am

BamBam wrote:Great read Steeler!! I agree with every word of it too!

But one little hiccup in the Bam household. What it didn't mention is, that goin to a Pirate game is about as cheap an evening you can spend and still enjoy yourself if you love the game. Also, not sound too selfish, but I just care about me being able to watch the bucs. I don't really care about attendance too much. Of course I wish it was better but in the end it wont affect my viewing. Its not like Nutting would spend more money anyways. So I enjoy the hand dealt to me. Also as far as valuation of 1.2b. That number will increase dramatically now that gambling on sports will be legalized axross the country.

Btw, I applaud you for staying in control as you were typing that. I could feel the 6.5 tremor in the ground. :D

If the Marlins sold for 1.6 Billion then the Pirates would sell for more then the 1.2 Billion, this city is more of a baseball town then Miami or any Florida team, the fan's have shown that they will support a winner. But the fan's are staying away because there HATRED for Nutting. Hell it pains me that I can't go to a game because I love that Park but as long as he is the owner of that team I will NEVER step a foot inside that stadium, and no it won't change my mind if he dies and his daughter becomes the owner because she will be just like Daddy.
Steelers69
$500+ per year
$500+ per year

Reviews you have written

Postby Josie Wales on Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

I’ll say this. The Pirates were one of the worst franchises In sports before the Nuttings bought them. It was areal possibility that a new owner would move them. I’ll give credit to the Nuttings for keeping the Pirates in Pittsburgh. And they did build them into a winning organization after years of losing. The fans were starved for winning baseball and the Pirates got on a roll. 3 consecutive playoff appearances. I didn’t expect attendance to keep growing or stay at a high average. Fans get complacent too. Can and should Nutting spend more on payroll? Yes. But they’re not the worst franchise in MLB anymore. As far as their net worth, Nutting had a hand in building that. Be careful what you wish for. A new owner might move them. Charlotte is a growing town and would love an MLB team and would make a sweetheart deal to get one.
Josie Wales
Power Poster
Power Poster

Reviews you have written

Postby BamBam on Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 am

The Nuttings were already a part of ownership when it was being run by McClatchy. They just ended up buying out his end. McClatchy was a train wreck. Anybody remember when Bonifay and Littlefield ran shit around here? :roll:
BamBam
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby Josie Wales on Wed May 16, 2018 11:51 am

BamBam wrote:The Nuttings were already a part of ownership when it was being run by McClatchy. They just ended up buying out his end. McClatchy was a train wreck. Anybody remember when Bonifay and Littlefield ran shit around here? :roll:

The Nuttings were a part of the group of 7 that kept the Bucs in Pgh. McClathey then became majority owner. McClatchy was instrumental in getting PNC park built.
Josie Wales
Power Poster
Power Poster

Reviews you have written

Postby BamBam on Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 pm

He and his hires were also responsible for 20 years of losing. :shock:
BamBam
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby Felix Leiter on Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm

I've gone on record that I am not a fan of Nutting and I wish he would spend more but a few years ago we were the second best team in all of MLB and right now we're in in first place by 4 percentage points. I wish the payroll was larger but this is a good team that will be in playoff contention if they keep playing like they have so far.
Felix Leiter

Postby billy guns on Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Felix Leiter wrote:I've gone on record that I am not a fan of Nutting and I wish he would spend more but a few years ago we were the second best team in all of MLB and right now we're in in first place by 4 percentage points. I wish the payroll was larger but this is a good team that will be in playoff contention if they keep playing like they have so far.

see I agree --- in my world rooting for the buccos and wanting Nutting to spend more money are NOT mutually exclusive. Plus I want the Bucs in Pittsburgh
billy guns

Reviews you have written

Postby Josie Wales on Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 pm

BamBam wrote:He and his hires were also responsible for 20 years of losing. :shock:

No doubt. I think McClatchy just wanted to hang out in the locker room and check out the Pirates junk. :shock: :shock:

-- Wed May 16, 2018 3:47 pm --

Josie Wales wrote:
BamBam wrote:He and his hires were also responsible for 20 years of losing. :shock:

No doubt. I think McClatchy just wanted to hang out in the locker room and check out the Pirates junk. :shock: :shock:

BTW, the 1st place Buccos won again today.
Josie Wales
Power Poster
Power Poster

Reviews you have written

Postby Felix Leiter on Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Hey McClatchy was undercapitalized and he didn't know what he was doing but if it wasn't for him the Pirates would no longer be in Pittsburgh and we wouldn't have PNC Park.

Oh by the way, raise it!!! Good game by Taillon and just enough offense for the sweep. We're beating the teams we need to beat. 7 games upcoming with the Padres and Reds. We need to go 5-2 before the real challenge comes against the Cardinals and Cubs. By early June we could know if we have a contender or a pretender. But at least for today we're in first place and all is right with the world. Let's Go Bucs!!!
Felix Leiter

PreviousNext

Return to The Sports Bar